WHAT IS SAMUTTHĀNA ?
Samutthana (The King’s College London Resource Centre for Trauma Displacement and Mental Health in Sri Lanka) is Sanskrit for renewal and regeneration. Established back in 2006, it was called to offer Psychosocial services to the local community.
It is the brainchild of the UK-Sri Lank Trauma Group, a charity originally launched in 1996 and comprising Sri Lankan and British mental health professionals, with the help of a grant from CAFOD (Catholic Agency for overseas Development).
It is a not for profit company registered under Sri Lankan law with an accountable Board of Directors.
Registration number: GL 55
WHAT DOES SAMUTTHĀNA OFFER ?
- The Centre is available to all mental health professionals, doctors, teachers, lawyers, religious leaders, government agencies, NGO’s, Volunteers and practitioners engaged in work related to mental health and trauma.
- Continuous training programmes, workshops and seminars are held throughout the year, at the Centre in Colombo as well as in many out-reach venues across the island.
- There are facilities for web-based interactive professional consultation and supervision.
- A resource library houses one of the finest collection of psychology-based books and journals.
- Inaugural Conference in 2009 on Renewal, Regeneration and Reconciliation.
- Samutthana was instrumental in setting up the first Clinical Psychology Masters training course in Sri Lanka at the University of Colombo. Since 2010, there have been three successful batches graduating with an MPhil qualification.
- Pioneering mental health nursing training in Sri Lanka.
- Assisting an Addiction Clinic as well as a Prisons Project.
- Reaching out to rural areas.
- Introduced an ‘Expert by Experience’ project and has had three national awareness raising programmes, presented through the lens of a survivor: (1) Living with Schizophrenia (2) Child Sexual Abuse and (3) Depression and Suicide.
HOW YOU CAN HELP US
Your contribution will facilitate to uplift and develop the needs assessed in the area of mental health. We therefore appeal to all potential Sponsors to support us in implementing our objectives.
Help us to help them… Dare to Care! PLEASE DONATE.
Account Name : Samutthana The King’s College London
Account Number : 101 000071 898
Bank/Branch : National Development Bank, Nugegoda, Sri Lanka.
Swift Code : NDBSLKLX